In 1920, The Irish Benedictine Nuns purchased Kylemore Castle along with 10,000 acres for a little over £45,000. Some of the lands were later purchased by the Land Commission and divided out among the tenants, and the Castle was converted into an Abbey.
At Kylemore, the nuns opened an international boarding school and established a day school for local girls. They also ran a farm and guesthouse; the guesthouse was closed after a devastating fire in 1959.
Although the guest house was never reopened, the romantic setting of Kylemore Abbey has continued to attract visitors to its door. Over the years, the Nuns graciously opened the estate to the education and enjoyment of all who visit, developing excellent facilities as well as restoring and conserving the many historical features.