Our garden will be temporarily closed this winter from November 17th until further notice to allow for spring planting etc. A reduced rate entrance ticket will be available as of that date.
The award-winning 6 acre Victorian Walled Garden was built by Mitchell Henry at the same time as the construction of Kylemore Castle between 1867 and 1871.
The garden was one of the last walled gardens to be built during the Victorian period in Ireland and is the only Walled Garden constructed in bogland (peatland). The garden was so advanced for the time that it was compared in magnificence with Kew Gardens in London.
The garden comprises of roughly 6 acres and is divided in two by a natural mountain stream. The eastern half comprises of the flower or pleasure garden, glass houses and gardeners’ houses, the kitchen garden makes up the other half of the garden and is predominantly given over to the growing of food.
Under the ownerships of The Duke and Duchess of Manchester and then Ernest Fawke, the garden went into decline. In time the flower garden became a wilderness and the glasshouses collapsed, leaving only their brick bases.
In 1996, the Benedictine Community, who have always used the garden, began restoration works with the help of grant aid, large bank loans and the generosity of donors. To date, two of the glasshouses have been rebuilt along with the Head Gardener’s House and Workman’s Bothy.
The Garden was re-opened in 1999 and won the prestigious Europa Nostra Award in 2002.